Who are we
Our activities focus on Parent Education, support and family empowerment.
Since 1995, ParentingTT (originally registered as TTIPS) has been harnessing the power of innovative parenting practices, social and emotional learning and child development education and putting them to work where they are much needed. This is achieved through workshops, PTA and community talks/presentations, counseling services, outreach programmes, the publication of the quarterly newsletter Parenting Support, our parentingtt.org website and Facebook page.
This has been made possible through the generous sponsorship of both foreign and local funders particularly The Canadian High Commission, J. B. Fernandes Memorial Trust 1, United WayTT, BGTT and, since 2009, the Ministry of the People and Social Development.
ParentingTT is a member of the Citizens Security Programme’s Civil Society Working Group and has worked with that agency to provide parent education community engagement projects in Beetham Gardens and Gonzales (1 year duration) as well as short parent training projects in St. Barbs, Farm Road, Beetham Gardens and Mootoo Lands & Samaroo Village.
What we do
We have a commitment to improve the quality of parenting nationally by providing parent education and support for empowerment:
- Helping parents to improve their parenting skills
- Changing attitudes to children
- Changing attitudes to parents
- Assisting in healing parent-child relationships and parent-parent relationships
- Being a voice for parents and children
- Encouraging innovative practices as well as the use of the proven traditional methods
- Experience over nearly 20 years has shown us that parents do their best given their history and circumstances and experience has shown us that when parent have information they can make good decisions
- When parents are not at their best they need support
- Behaviour changes with understanding and information/education.
To empower, inform and encourage innovative parenting.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed it is the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead
Empowered parents creating a safe and peaceful nation for generations to come
Sharla Dwarika, MSc. Counselling Executive Director
Founded in 1995 by three parents (Marilyn Robb, Marina Torres and Barbara King) working in the areas of education and early childhood development. They sought a way to address the many cases of parents and caregivers who were making critical errors in parenting.